Pirates sign free agent OF Michael Saunders to minor deal
- Angels, Harvey agree to 1-yr., $11M deal
- Twins surprise Mauer, will retire jersey
- Cubs give INF Descalso $5M for 2 years
- Yankees hire Beltran as special adviser
- McCutchen intent on regaining old form
BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) The Pittsburgh Pirates have signed free agent outfielder Michael Saunders to a minor league contract and invited him to major league spring training.
The Pirates announced the move Wednesday.
The 31-year-old Saunders hit a combined .202 with six home runs and 21 RBIs in 73 games for Philadelphia and Toronto last season.
Saunders was an AL All-Star in 2016 with the Blue Jays, hitting 24 homers with 57 RBIs while batting .253.
Saunders is a career .232 hitter with 81 home runs and 263 RBIs in 775 games with Seattle, the Phillies and Blue Jays.
Updated February 21, 2018