Atlanta United star Almiron week to week with hamstring
European Football Headlines
- Brazil club accused of propaganda for far-right candidate
- Madagascar 1st team to qualify for African Cup of Nations
- UEFA charges Romania for racism, misconduct by fans
- Panama peg back South Korea to draw friendly 2-2
- Sounders face Orlando City going for 10th straight playoffs
- Spain gets reality check after good start under Luis Enrique
- FA charges Man United manager Jose Mourinho over TV outburst
- Coach: Red Star players not bothered by match-fixing probe
- Lacazette missing atmosphere in French soccer stadiums
- Sadio Mane breaks bone in hand, out of Senegal qualifier
ATLANTA (AP) Miguel Almiron is battling a left hamstring injury with Atlanta United trying to clinch the best regular-season record in Major League Soccer.
The star midfielder is listed as week to week, putting in doubt his status for United's final two games. He also will miss a chance play for his national team in Paraguay during FIFA's international window, remaining in Atlanta to rehabilitate his injury.
The team said Tuesday that Almiron was hurt during last Saturday's 2-1 win over New England. The victory kept United one point ahead of New York Red Bulls in the race for MLS Supporters' Shield, which assures a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.
After this week's' international break, United hosts Chicago in its final regular-season home game Oct. 21 before the closing the season at Toronto a week later.
Atlanta is assured a first-round bye in the MLS playoffs, giving Almiron additional time to recover.
For more AP soccer coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/MLSsoccer
Updated October 9, 2018