Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel named Rookie of the Year
European Football Headlines
- PSG returns to French league comfort zone with 5-2 home win
- Man United draws Brighton in FA Cup quarterfinals
- Rodchenkov: Gov't order to protect doped Russian footballers
- PAOK beats Lamia 2-0 and keeps Greek league lead
- Barcelona wins at Eibar 2-0 before trip to Chelsea in CL
- Lewandowski rescues late 2-1 win for Bayern in Wolfsburg
- Southampton pile on misery for West Brom in FA Cup
- More wonder from Under: Turkey winger fires Roma to win
- Reintegrated Mahrez helps Leicester into FA Cup quarters
- Girona beats Leganes 3-0, continues to impress in Liga debut
ATLANTA (AP) Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel has been named Major League Soccer's Rookie of the Year.
Gressel, 23, appeared in 32 matches with 24 starts, and had nine assists, third-most for a rookie in league history. He also had five goals.
Atlanta United, playing its first season in MLS, went 15-9-10 this season and finished fourth in the Eastern Conference. United was the first expansion team to make the playoffs since 1998.
"It's a great honor, not just for me but I think for the whole club," he said. "It's been a tremendous year for me personally and now you add a trophy to it - it's kind of a cool thing."
The eighth overall selection in the MLS SuperDraft, Gressel had 30 goals and 26 assists over four seasons at Providence College.
MLS team technical staffs, members of the media and current MLS players voted for the award.
Updated November 8, 2017