Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel named Rookie of the Year
European Football Headlines
- Salah Egypt's 'superman' again with last-minute winner
- Neymar scores from spot as Brazil beats Uruguay 1-0
- Dutch win over France demotes Germany in UEFA Nations League
- Mancini wants to 'bring Italy back where it belongs'
- Designer of Brazil soccer team kit dies at age 83
- Spain doubted again after consecutive Nations League losses
- Kenya loses appeal to be reinstated in Women's African Cup
- AC Milan preparing for new UEFA judgment on FFP violations
- Prosecutor cleared of misconduct in FIFA case, leaves job
- PSG investigation finds 'no proven case of discrimination'
ATLANTA (AP) Atlanta midfielder Julian Gressel has been named Major League Soccer's Rookie of the Year.
Gressel, 23, appeared in 32 matches with 24 starts, and had nine assists, third-most for a rookie in league history. He also had five goals.
Atlanta United, playing its first season in MLS, went 15-9-10 this season and finished fourth in the Eastern Conference. United was the first expansion team to make the playoffs since 1998.
"It's a great honor, not just for me but I think for the whole club," he said. "It's been a tremendous year for me personally and now you add a trophy to it - it's kind of a cool thing."
The eighth overall selection in the MLS SuperDraft, Gressel had 30 goals and 26 assists over four seasons at Providence College.
MLS team technical staffs, members of the media and current MLS players voted for the award.
Updated November 8, 2017