Real Salt Lake fires coach Jeff Cassar
European Football Headlines
- Dempsey hat trick lifts US over Honduras 6-0 to rebound
- Hernandez, Araujo score in 1st half, Mexico beats Costa Rica
- New Zealand beats Fiji 2-0 in World Cup qualifier
- Howard, Dempsey, Cameron return under Arena vs Honduras
- Spain and Italy level atop group as are Spain and Ireland
- Irish player breaks leg in European qualifier against Wales
- Ireland draws 10-man Wales; Serbia moves top of Group D
- Spain and Italy win home games to say in front in Group G
- Croatia tops table with 1-0 win over Ukraine, Iceland 2nd
- Italy match halted for 9 mins as Albania fans throw flares
SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has fired coach Jeff Cassar.
The club announced Monday that director of goalkeeping Daryl Shore will step in as interim head coach.
Real Salt Lake is ninth in the MLS Western Conference with an 0-2-1 record. The team has gone winless in its past 10 matches going back to the 2016 season. Real Salt Lake has scored just one goal in three games this season.
Cassar joined the organization in 2007 as an assistant coach and was promoted in 2014. The team went 38-37-30 during his tenure. The team retained Cassar for the 2017 season after his contract expired following the 2016 season.
General Manager Craig Waibel said in a statement there is a "sense of urgency for progress this season," which is why the move was made now.
Updated March 20, 2017