Remedi scores 1st MLS goal, Atlanta beats NYCFC in 1st leg
European Football Headlines
- Training at Man United helps Rossi in search for new team
- Arsenal facing make-or-break 6 days
- Madrid enduring its worst struggles in more than 2 decades
- Yemeni players united for soccer to make tournament debut
- Troubled Higuain could be reunited with Sarri at Chelsea
- Transfers: Tottenham sells Dembele, Leeds signs Casilla
- Derby beats Southampton on penalties in FA Cup
- Atletico eliminated by Girona in last 16 of Copa del Rey
- Henry's Monaco draws 1-1 with Vieira's Nice in French league
- Crisis infects soccer tournament as Qatar faces Saudi Arabia
NEW YORK (AP) Eric Remedi scored his first MLS goal in the 37th minute and Atlanta United beat New York FC 1-0 on Sunday in the first leg of the Eastern Conference semifinals.
Atlanta, which has won 11 of its 18 road games this season, hosts the second leg next Sunday.
Remedi tapped in a rebound after Josef Martinez's one-touch shot was blocked by Sean Johnson and settled against the post.
Johnson made a big save of Greg Garza's breakaway shot in second-half stoppage time.
Miguel Almiron appeared to open the scoring in the 20th minute but it was disallowed after a video replay ruled Atlanta was in an offside position during the buildup. Atlanta defender Franco Escobar sent a point-blank shot wide in the 34th.
NYCFC has reached the conference semifinals in three straight seasons but has lost the first leg in each.
Updated November 4, 2018