Royer scores twice as Red Bulls beat LAFC 2-1
European Football Headlines
- Goalkeeper Subasic retires from Croatia's national team
- With Ronaldo gone, only Griezmann can hope to stop Messi
- Honda put off retirement to sign A-League deal
- FIFA defends bans for 'false' info, tarnishing reputations
- South American cup finals to be played in single match
- AEK knocks Celtic out of Champions League qualifiers
- Post-Ronaldo Real Madrid gets 1st test in UEFA Super Cup
- Samuel Eto'o joins Qatari club, 13th of his pro career
- Qatar says Nepali worker dies building World Cup stadium
- Brazil great Ronaldo leaves hospital after bout with flu
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer scored two goals to help the New York Red Bulls beat Los Angeles FC 2-1 on Sunday night.
New York has won four of its last five.
Royer tapped home a pass from Bradley Wright-Phillips to give the Red Bulls (14-6-2) the lead for good in the 80th minute. Wright-Phillips ran onto a long, arcing pass from Marc Rzatkowski at the top of the box, took a couple dribbles and fed Royer for a first-timer into an open net.
Royer opened the scoring in the 39th. Michael Murillo's shot from the right side was stopped by goalkeeper Tyler Miller, but the rebound rolled to Royer - who had tripped over a defender and fallen - for the finish from point-blank range.
Diego Rossi put away a feed, which slipped between two defenders, from Carlos Vela to make it 1-1 in the 53rd.
LAFC (10-6-6) is winless in its last four games.
Updated August 5, 2018