Martinez scores MLS-leading 14th goal, Atlanta United wins
European Football Headlines
- Argentine fans celebrate River Plate's title at home
- Colombians have key impact on Copa Libertadores final
- Copa Libertadores saga ends as River Plate wins in Madrid
- Ibrahimovic to stay with LA Galaxy, AC Milan's Leonardo says
- Cutrone misses easy chance as Milan held by Torino
- Man City's Raheem Sterling says media coverage fuels racism
- Gladbach reclaims 2nd place from Bayern in Bundesliga
- Wolves beat 10-man Newcastle with late goal
- Nicolas Pepe scores last-gasp equalizer, Lille moves to 2nd
- No secret to building women's soccer in Africa: Play more
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Josef Martinez scored his MLS-leading 14th goal of the season, Hector Villalba added a goal in the 82nd minute and Atlanta United beat the Columbus Crew 2-0 on Wednesday night.
Atlanta (10-3-3), the Supporters' Shield leader, handed Columbus (7-4-6) its second loss in its last 16 home games. United also snapped the Crew's nine-game unbeaten streak.
Martinez opened the scoring in the 30th minute by heading home Ezequiel Barco's corner kick. Martinez was injured on the play and was replaced at halftime. Martinez has six goals in the last four games.
Villalba, a second-half sub returning from injury, finished off Atlanta's counter attack by rolling a shot under goalkeeper Zack Steffen.
Steffen had a 525-minute shutout streak snapped. The runs was the eighth longest in MLS history.
Updated June 13, 2018