Martinez scores MLS-leading 14th goal, Atlanta United wins
European Football Headlines
- Matt Hedges lifts FC Dallas past Whitecaps, 2-1
- Galaxy beat Sounders for Kinnear's 1st win as interim coach
- Ronaldo recovers from red card misery to help Juve win 2-0
- Germany lacked 'greed' to defend WC; France to heed lessons
- Messi sets another record in Spain as Barcelona loses points
- Neymar gives jersey to crying boy as PSG beats Rennes 3-1
- Game paused as soccer fans protest esports
- Leverkusen gets 1st Bundesliga win after losing opening 3
- Cech stars as Arsenal beats Everton 2-0 for 5th straight win
- Europa League hangover hits flat Chelsea
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Josef Martinez scored his MLS-leading 14th goal of the season, Hector Villalba added a goal in the 82nd minute and Atlanta United beat the Columbus Crew 2-0 on Wednesday night.
Atlanta (10-3-3), the Supporters' Shield leader, handed Columbus (7-4-6) its second loss in its last 16 home games. United also snapped the Crew's nine-game unbeaten streak.
Martinez opened the scoring in the 30th minute by heading home Ezequiel Barco's corner kick. Martinez was injured on the play and was replaced at halftime. Martinez has six goals in the last four games.
Villalba, a second-half sub returning from injury, finished off Atlanta's counter attack by rolling a shot under goalkeeper Zack Steffen.
Steffen had a 525-minute shutout streak snapped. The runs was the eighth longest in MLS history.
Updated June 13, 2018