Zardes takes MLS scoring lead, Crew beat Fire 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Ronaldo misses penalty but Juventus beats Chievo 3-0
- Asian Cup: Japan tops Saudi Arabia, Australia wins shootout
- US investors take over Spanish 2nd-division club Reus
- Cole reunites with Lampard for Derby promotion push
- Huddersfield hires another coach from Dortmund reserve team
- Ronaldo to plead guilty to tax fraud in Madrid court
- Arsenal's head of recruitment leaves club after 1 year
- Sarri must face up to own failings in Chelsea blame game
- Casemiro getting back to his best with Madrid
- With Verratti out, PSG coach Tuchel needs Rabiot back now
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Gyasi Zardes scored twice to take the MLS scoring lead and the Columbus Crew beat the Chicago Fire 3-0 on Saturday night.
Zardes drew a penalty in the 27th minute when Chicago's Kevin Ellis grabbed him from behind by the arm. Federico Higuain opened the scoring a minute later, converting from the spot with a rising shot into the top of the net.
Niko Hansen started a counter in the 50th minute with a takeaway behind midfield and went all the way to about 5 yards from goal to set up Zardes, who finished with a left-footed stab to double the lead.
Zardes added his league-leading eighth goal of the season in the 70th minute. Mike Grella dummied Ricardo Clark's cross to give Zardes space to finish from a yard behind the spot.
Columbus improved to 6-3-3, and Chicago dropped to 3-5-2.
Updated May 12, 2018