Zardes takes MLS scoring lead, Crew beat Fire 3-0
European Football Headlines
- CONMEBOL removes Wilmar Valdez from his FIFA Council role
- Montreal needs to win, get help in playoff chase
- D.C. United could secure playoff spot with win over NYCFC
- Atlanta United could be missing two top players vs. Fire
- Crowd of 50,000-plus will watch Minnesota's last home game
- Spanish sensation Alaves wins at Celta to take league lead
- Dembele and Depay score against Nimes as Lyon moves into 3rd
- Unstoppable Jovic nets 5 as Frankfurt routs Duesseldorf 7-1
- Doctor says Maradona needs prostheses on his knees
- Unhappy Bayern Munich lashes out against media coverage
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) Gyasi Zardes scored twice to take the MLS scoring lead and the Columbus Crew beat the Chicago Fire 3-0 on Saturday night.
Zardes drew a penalty in the 27th minute when Chicago's Kevin Ellis grabbed him from behind by the arm. Federico Higuain opened the scoring a minute later, converting from the spot with a rising shot into the top of the net.
Niko Hansen started a counter in the 50th minute with a takeaway behind midfield and went all the way to about 5 yards from goal to set up Zardes, who finished with a left-footed stab to double the lead.
Zardes added his league-leading eighth goal of the season in the 70th minute. Mike Grella dummied Ricardo Clark's cross to give Zardes space to finish from a yard behind the spot.
Columbus improved to 6-3-3, and Chicago dropped to 3-5-2.
Updated May 12, 2018