Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls beat Impact 3-1
European Football Headlines
- Union ends Sounders' win streak on Picault's late goal, 1-0
- Portland Timbers down short-handed Columbus Crew 3-2
- Martinez scores 30th goal in stoppage time, Atlanta wins
- Mexico's Tigres beat Toronto FC 3-1 in Campeones Cup
- Man City's flaws, fan apathy highlighted in CL loss to Lyon
- Ellis names roster for World Cup qualifying tournament
- After Nazi salute video spreads, Lyon says it will ban fan
- No Ronaldo? No problem for Madrid, Juventus in Champs League
- Ronaldo sent off but Juventus goes on to win 2-0 at Valencia
- Madrid starts CL life after Ronaldo with easy win over Roma
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Bradley Wright-Phillips had a goal and an assist on Saturday and the New York Red Bulls beat the Montreal Impact 3-1.
Wright-Phillips opened the scoring for the Red Bulls (3-2-0) in the fifth minute, beating goalkeeper Evan Bush into the upper right corner. Florian Valot's takeaway in the middle of Montreal's side of the field set up Wright-Phillips with an opening from the right side of the 18-yard box.
Romero "Kaku" Gamarra finished Wright-Phillips' cross in the 57th minute to give New York a 2-1 lead. Wright-Phillips was stopped by Bush but gathered the rebound and fed it to Kaku, who one-timed it into the far corner.
Michael Murillo tapped in Kemar Lawrence's low cross to cap the scoring in the 76th minute.
Montreal (2-4-0) tied it 1-1 in the 33rd minute on Jeisson Vargas' free kick, which deflected in off the right post.
Updated April 14, 2018