Undefeated NYCFC tops Real Salt Lake for 1st time, 4-0
European Football Headlines
- Valencia avoids upset, reaches Copa del Rey quarterfinals
- Newcastle avoids another upset in FA Cup
- Toronto plans to sell Victor Vazquez to a team in Qatar
- Karamoh scores solo winner as Bordeaux wins 2-1 at Angers
- Babel back in Premier League at relegation-threatened Fulham
- Kane set for 2 months out with ankle injury
- PSG signs American defender Alana Cook from Stanford
- Colombia close to signing Iran's Carlos Queiroz as coach
- Leeds facing action for spying on opposition team
- Australia beats Syria 3-2, advances to last 16 at Asian Cup
NEW YORK (AP) Ismael Tajouri, Maximiliano Moralez and Jo Inge Berget scored first-half goals and undefeated New York City FC beat Real Salt Lake for the first time, 4-0 on Wednesday night.
New York City (5-0-1) extended its undefeated run to a club-record seven games, dating to last season. Salt Lake (2-3-1) is winless in its last seven away matches - with five losses.
Tajouri scored his fourth goal of the season in the 12th minute by sending a failed clearance into the upper corner of the net in the 12th minute. Ronald Matarrita intercepted another RSL clearance attempt in the 22nd and volleyed a shot from distance off the crossbar.
Moralez, in his second season in the league, made it 2-0 in the 30th on a penalty kick after Justen Glad made contact with him from behind at the top of the box. Berget and Ebenezer Ofori each scored their first MLS goal.
NYC goalkeeper Sean Johnson denied Corey Baird's open header early in the second half to help preserve his third clean sheet of the season. David Villa, who missed the past three games due to injury, entered as a substitute in the 59th.
Updated April 11, 2018