Tinnerholm, Villa help NYCFC beat Galaxy 2-1
European Football Headlines
- Ellis names roster for World Cup qualifying tournament
- No Ronaldo? No problem for Madrid, Juventus in Champs League
- Ronaldo sent off but Juventus goes on to win 2-0 at Valencia
- Man City humbled in 2-1 loss to Lyon in Champions League
- Madrid starts CL life after Ronaldo with easy win over Roma
- Renato Sanches scores on his Benfica return as Bayern wins
- Ronaldo sent off in 1st Champions League game with Juventus
- CSKA penalty salvages late point v Plzen in Champions League
- Champions League's youngest coach starts with a draw
- Pogba scores 2 in Man United's 3-0 win at Young Boys
NEW YORK (AP) Anton Tinnerholm had his first MLS goal and David Villa scored another to help New York City FC beat the Los Angeles Galaxy 2-1 on Sunday.
Tinnerholm blasted a left-footed volley to give NYCFC (2-0-0) the lead in the 22nd minute. Villa's cross, off a feed from Jesus Medina, deflected high off Michael Ciani and Tinnerholm, a 27-year-old defender from Sweden, rifled it off the crossbar.
Sean Johnson made a diving save of a sliding half-volley by Ola Kamara in the 27th and Villa made it 2-0 in the 33rd. Medina, on a counter-attack breakaway, touched it around a defender and then fed a left-footed cross to Ben Sweatt, whose shot from near the spot was stopped by a charging David Bingham. Villa tapped the rebound into the open net.
Jonathan dos Santos, from point-blank range, re-directed a cross from Emmanuel Boateng past Johnson to cap the scoring in the 60th.
New York City, which has lost just two regular-season home matches since June 2, 2016, outshot the Galaxy (1-1-0) 20-7.
Updated March 11, 2018