Dynamo wins 2-1 on Sporting KC's own goal in 77nd minute
European Football Headlines
- Ronaldo goal gives Real Madrid its 3rd Club World Cup title
- Torres goal lifts Atletico into 2nd place in Spanish league
- Neymar, Mbappe score as leader PSG wins 4-1 at Rennes
- Inter's unbeaten start ends with 3-1 defeat to Udinese
- Hamsik equals Maradona's Napoli record of 115 goals
- De Bruyne inspires Man City to record-extending win vs Spurs
- Bayern stretches Bundesliga lead, Cologne grabs 1st win
- Man City humiliates Tottenham in 4-1 win, leads by 14 points
- Benteke ends goal drought as Palace beats Leicester 3-0
- Pressure on Hughes as West Ham beats Stoke 3-0
HOUSTON (AP) Tomas Martinez scored in the 63rd minute and his free kick in the 77th led to an own goal, helping the Houston Dynamo beat Sporting Kansas City 2-1 on Wednesday night.
Houston (12-10-10) moved within one point of a third-place tie with Portland and Seattle. Second-place Sporting KC (12-8-12) needed at least a draw to secure a playoff spot.
Only Vancouver, three points ahead of Sporting KC, has secured a playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Martinez tied it at 1 by volleying home a deflected cross and the Dynamo took the lead on Erik Palmer-Brown's own goal. Mart�nez's free kick was placed inside the 6-yard box and Palmer-Brown knocked it in with his right leg.
Jimmy Medranda scored for Sporting KC in the 33rd minute. Saad Abdul-Salaam dribbled along the right side of the 18-yard box and found Medranda trailing the play for a left-footed finish from distance.
Seth Sinovic had an open shot pushed away by Houston goalkeeper Tyler Deric in the third minute of second-half stoppage time.
The game was pushed back from Aug. 26 due to Hurricane Harvey. The teams will play again on Sunday.
Updated October 11, 2017