Red Bulls clinch playoff spot, beat Whitecaps 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Ramirez, Quintero score; Minnesota United tops Revs 2-1
- Sarri wants to meet Hazard over Chelsea future; Zola returns
- US women takes veteran team to Tournament of Nations
- Mourinho bemoans 'very bad' preseason for United
- Oxlade-Chamberlain to miss most of next season for Liverpool
- FFA cool on Usain Bolt's A-League bid
- World Cup winner Mbappe donating bonus of about $350,000
- Usain Bolt to make run at pro soccer in Australia
- Iceland coach steps down after 7 years in charge
- Man United sells Blind back to Ajax for $18.75 million
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Felipe scored and the New York Red Bulls clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
Royer opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with a three-touch finish at the end of Sacha Kljestan and Tyler Adams' two-pass combo. Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 with a chip finish in the 58th minute after Adams' pass sprung him behind the defense for a breakaway run from near midfield.
Kljestan fed it out from the end line to Felipe, who capped the scoring with a rising blast into the right corner in the 72nd minute.
The Red Bulls (13-12-7) snapped an eight-game winless streak as they eliminated Montreal, New England, Philadelphia and Orlando from playoff contention.
The Whitecaps (15-11-6) missed an opportunity to secure a first-round bye but remained in first place in the West after dropping only their second match in the last 10.
Updated October 7, 2017