Red Bulls clinch playoff spot, beat Whitecaps 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Ronaldo goal gives Real Madrid its 3rd Club World Cup title
- Torres goal lifts Atletico into 2nd place in Spanish league
- Neymar, Mbappe score as leader PSG wins 4-1 at Rennes
- Inter's unbeaten start ends with 3-1 defeat to Udinese
- Hamsik equals Maradona's Napoli record of 115 goals
- De Bruyne inspires Man City to record-extending win vs Spurs
- Bayern stretches Bundesliga lead, Cologne grabs 1st win
- Man City humiliates Tottenham in 4-1 win, leads by 14 points
- Benteke ends goal drought as Palace beats Leicester 3-0
- Pressure on Hughes as West Ham beats Stoke 3-0
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Felipe scored and the New York Red Bulls clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
Royer opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with a three-touch finish at the end of Sacha Kljestan and Tyler Adams' two-pass combo. Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 with a chip finish in the 58th minute after Adams' pass sprung him behind the defense for a breakaway run from near midfield.
Kljestan fed it out from the end line to Felipe, who capped the scoring with a rising blast into the right corner in the 72nd minute.
The Red Bulls (13-12-7) snapped an eight-game winless streak as they eliminated Montreal, New England, Philadelphia and Orlando from playoff contention.
The Whitecaps (15-11-6) missed an opportunity to secure a first-round bye but remained in first place in the West after dropping only their second match in the last 10.
Updated October 7, 2017