Red Bulls clinch playoff spot, beat Whitecaps 3-0
European Football Headlines
- Cagliari rehires Lopez as coach to replace Rastelli
- Denmark cancels World Cup qualifier against Sweden
- Brighton & Hove Albion-West Ham United Preview
- Albanian, Serbian clubs play away matches without fans
- 'The Brick Wall': Ederson solving keeper issues at Man City
- Investigation: England women's coach racially abused players
- Egyptian daily to World Cup fans: Beware of Russian women
- Brazil to play Russia in Moscow in pre-World Cup friendly
- FIFA kicks in $600,000 for World Cup playoff travel costs
- Urawa Reds beat Shanghai SIPG 1-0 to advance to ACL final
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) Daniel Royer, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Felipe scored and the New York Red Bulls clinched the final Eastern Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday night.
Royer opened the scoring in the 33rd minute with a three-touch finish at the end of Sacha Kljestan and Tyler Adams' two-pass combo. Wright-Phillips made it 2-0 with a chip finish in the 58th minute after Adams' pass sprung him behind the defense for a breakaway run from near midfield.
Kljestan fed it out from the end line to Felipe, who capped the scoring with a rising blast into the right corner in the 72nd minute.
The Red Bulls (13-12-7) snapped an eight-game winless streak as they eliminated Montreal, New England, Philadelphia and Orlando from playoff contention.
The Whitecaps (15-11-6) missed an opportunity to secure a first-round bye but remained in first place in the West after dropping only their second match in the last 10.
Updated October 7, 2017