Villa scores early goal; NYCFC hang on to beat Galaxy 1-0
European Football Headlines
- The Latest: Klopp supported by coaching pal Wagner at final
- Platini vows to return to soccer after Swiss justice move
- Champs League final: Madrid, Liverpool fans gather in Kiev
- Alessandrini scores in 82nd, Galaxy beat Earthquakes
- Elis scores 7th goal, Dynamo beat NYC 3-1
- Urruti, Gonzalez help FC Dallas beat Toronto FC 1-0
- Disgruntled fans break into Brazil pre-World Cup training
- Southampton hires Hughes as full-time manager
- Authorities drop assault charges against Hope Solo
- Champions League final: Salah challenges Ronaldo's supremacy
NEW YORK (AP) David Villa scored in the sixth minute and New York City FC stretched its undefeated streak to four games, beating the Los Angeles Galaxy in their first trip to Yankee Stadium 1-0 on Saturday.
The Galaxy (9-4-11), who routed NYCFC 5-1 last season, had their nine-game unbeaten streak snapped. Eastern Conference leader New York City (11-7-8) has not been beaten since July 24, a 4-1 road loss against the New York Red Bulls.
Galaxy goalkeeper Clement Diop blocked Ronald Matarrita's low shot, yet Villa was right in front of the goal to tap in the deflection for his MLS-leading 16th goal of the season.
Diop kept it close, sliding to block Villa's shot attempt in the 38th minute. Villa grabbed that rebound but shot wide left. In the 80th minute, Villa shot high to the left near post, but Diop knocked it out with another jumping, one-handed block.
NYCFC's goalkeeper Josh Saunders had a right-handed, diving fingertip save off Nigel de Jong's bicycle kick attempt in the 43rd minute.
Updated August 20, 2016