Villa scores early goal; NYCFC hang on to beat Galaxy 1-0
European Football Headlines
- Stakes higher for 3rd showdown between Guardiola, Mourinho
- Costa ends goal drought to help Chelsea open up 7-point lead
- Brazil goalkeeper convicted in murder case returning to jail
- Atletico Madrid loses 1-0 to Villarreal at home
- Eintracht Frankfurt into first German Cup final in 11 years
- Kaka tops MLS salaries for 3rd straight year; Giovinco next
- Chelsea beats Southampton, extends lead in EPL
- Manchester United-Manchester City Preview
- Injured Bale expected to miss Champions League semifinals
- Ajax's home stadium to be named after Johan Cruyff
NEW YORK (AP) David Villa scored in the sixth minute and New York City FC stretched its undefeated streak to four games, beating the Los Angeles Galaxy in their first trip to Yankee Stadium 1-0 on Saturday.
The Galaxy (9-4-11), who routed NYCFC 5-1 last season, had their nine-game unbeaten streak snapped. Eastern Conference leader New York City (11-7-8) has not been beaten since July 24, a 4-1 road loss against the New York Red Bulls.
Galaxy goalkeeper Clement Diop blocked Ronald Matarrita's low shot, yet Villa was right in front of the goal to tap in the deflection for his MLS-leading 16th goal of the season.
Diop kept it close, sliding to block Villa's shot attempt in the 38th minute. Villa grabbed that rebound but shot wide left. In the 80th minute, Villa shot high to the left near post, but Diop knocked it out with another jumping, one-handed block.
NYCFC's goalkeeper Josh Saunders had a right-handed, diving fingertip save off Nigel de Jong's bicycle kick attempt in the 43rd minute.
Updated August 20, 2016