Villa scores early goal; NYCFC hang on to beat Galaxy 1-0
European Football Headlines
- Wright-Phillips, Muyl help Red Bulls beat Minnesota United
- Clark, Martinez help Crew beat DC United 3-1
- Tajouri scores 2 goals, NYCFC play Revolution to 2-2 draw
- Lamah, Maurer help FC Dallas to 1-1 draw with Timbers
- Behind the glitz, France has problems to solve before WCup
- Sporting Kansas City-Rapids Preview
- Jesse Lingard's goal gives England 1-0 win over Netherlands
- France's poor defending exposed again as Colombia wins 3-2
- Without Messi, Argentina beats Italy 2-0 in friendly
- 'Welcome to Zlatan': Ibrahimovic makes play for LA's heart
NEW YORK (AP) David Villa scored in the sixth minute and New York City FC stretched its undefeated streak to four games, beating the Los Angeles Galaxy in their first trip to Yankee Stadium 1-0 on Saturday.
The Galaxy (9-4-11), who routed NYCFC 5-1 last season, had their nine-game unbeaten streak snapped. Eastern Conference leader New York City (11-7-8) has not been beaten since July 24, a 4-1 road loss against the New York Red Bulls.
Galaxy goalkeeper Clement Diop blocked Ronald Matarrita's low shot, yet Villa was right in front of the goal to tap in the deflection for his MLS-leading 16th goal of the season.
Diop kept it close, sliding to block Villa's shot attempt in the 38th minute. Villa grabbed that rebound but shot wide left. In the 80th minute, Villa shot high to the left near post, but Diop knocked it out with another jumping, one-handed block.
NYCFC's goalkeeper Josh Saunders had a right-handed, diving fingertip save off Nigel de Jong's bicycle kick attempt in the 43rd minute.
Updated August 20, 2016