Villa scores early goal; NYCFC hang on to beat Galaxy 1-0
European Football Headlines
- Pescara beats Palermo in matchup of relegated Serie A teams
- Cuadrado joins Juventus permanently after 2 loan spells
- Griezmann says 6 chances out of 10 he will join Man United
- Hertha Berlin signs Australia forward Mathew Leckie
- Moyes quits Sunderland after relegation from EPL
- St. Petersburg arena hurries to lay new field for Confed Cup
- US earns late point against Ecuador at U20 World Cup
- Big decisions for players, coaches in EPL offseason
- Mainz parts ways with coach Schmidt after difficult season
- Nonstop celebrations for Madrid after winning league title
NEW YORK (AP) David Villa scored in the sixth minute and New York City FC stretched its undefeated streak to four games, beating the Los Angeles Galaxy in their first trip to Yankee Stadium 1-0 on Saturday.
The Galaxy (9-4-11), who routed NYCFC 5-1 last season, had their nine-game unbeaten streak snapped. Eastern Conference leader New York City (11-7-8) has not been beaten since July 24, a 4-1 road loss against the New York Red Bulls.
Galaxy goalkeeper Clement Diop blocked Ronald Matarrita's low shot, yet Villa was right in front of the goal to tap in the deflection for his MLS-leading 16th goal of the season.
Diop kept it close, sliding to block Villa's shot attempt in the 38th minute. Villa grabbed that rebound but shot wide left. In the 80th minute, Villa shot high to the left near post, but Diop knocked it out with another jumping, one-handed block.
NYCFC's goalkeeper Josh Saunders had a right-handed, diving fingertip save off Nigel de Jong's bicycle kick attempt in the 43rd minute.
Updated August 20, 2016